Official Procedure Last Change May 2, 2017
How to file:
Location of event: Bankruptcy > Motions, Applications & Briefs > Continue Hearing/Trial/Pretrial Conference, Motion to
Parties seeking the continuance of a hearing should file a Motion requesting such.
Requests to continue the 341 First Meeting of Creditors are handled by the trustee appointed to the case, not by the court. The party seeking such a continuance should contact the trustee directly. After making arrangements with the Trustee, a Notice of Continued Meeting of Creditors containing the agreed-upon new date for the 341 meeting should be filed with the Court.
When docketing, the Motion to Continue can only be related to certain types of docket entries. If you are unsure which docket entry to relate the Motion to, contact the Clerk's office.
Motion must be signed by the filing party
Motion must clearly state which hearing is requested to be continued
Any efforts made to obtain the consent of the opposing party must be stated in the Motion, along with whether or not they consent to the continuance.
1. Log into CM/ECF
2. Select Bankruptcy > Motions, Applications & Briefs
3. Enter the case number (in the format xx-xxxxx). Click Next
4. Select Continue Hearing/Trial/Pretrial Conference, Motion to from the event list. Click Next
5. Select appropriate radio button to indicate whether or not the Motion you are filing is amended.
6. Check box if jointly filing with another attorney, click Next.
7. If you indicated that you are filing jointly with other attorney(s), select additional attorney(s) and click Next
NOTE: You cannot add attorneys. Only attorneys who have previously entered an appearance will be available for selection.
8. Select the party filer. If the party is not listed, click on Add/Create New Party. Click Next
Note: The "Attorney/Party Association” screen may appear. If your party selection was correct, check the box to create an association and click Next.
9. Browse to select the Motion (pdf file). Click Next
10. Select correct radio button to indicate if you are seeking to continue a hearing or a trial
11. Check the appropriate box or boxes next to the matter or matters which you are seeking to continue. (If there is only one matter on the docket that can be continued, that matter will be selected automatically and this step will be skipped). Click Next
12. If you indicated in step 5 that you are filing an amended motion, all pending motions on the docket are displayed. Select the motion that is being amended and click Next
13. Enter additional text, if desired, and/or select prefix text and click Next
Note: The prefix text option is not available if you indicated in Step 5 that the Motion you are filing is amended. The additional text option is not always available.
14. Verify the final docket text; if correct, click Next to submit your document(s).
Note: The Notice of Electronic Filing displays giving you the document number. Copies of this notice are immediately e-mailed to all participants who receive electronic notification in the case.
If the Motion to Continue is deficient, an amended Motion must be filed prior to the deficiency deadline using the instructions above, or the Motion may be stricken.